December Evening Celebrations


After Work Hospital Unit Party
December is usually a busy month when groups get together and celebrate outside of usual activities. This year, I skipped the holiday luncheon at work because I do not work that day (the 11th) and it was my son's birthday. We, in the intensive unit group, had a separate celebration on the 12th. It started before my shift was over, but I joined after work. I had one hour left of a 6pm to 9 pm all-you-can-eat-limited-choice drinks and appetizers as Paul and I arrived at around 8. With the time we had, we had 2 servings of alcohol, and a few bites of appetizer. I am thankful for days like this. It is great to just relax with co-workers outside the walls of the busy hospital in the intensive care unit.



Daughter's 2oth birthday (In Nike army shirt)
Saturday was my daughter's 20th birthday. She is my baby and looks young for her age, I think. She is still my sweet, fragile, sensitive little girl. We went to an arcade place but that night was an especially busy night. We did not even get a table to sit for appetizers and drink. The savvy prepared for this possibility and had the family have the cake and supper at home before we left. We played arcade games for 2 hours and spent at least half an hour claiming junk  toys with their tickets. I played a few piano games thinking my grandson would punch the keys too. He is 8 months and the keys are huge. Most of the time, I walked around carrying him with me and we went to visit the "big kids" playing.

Son's 21st Birthday
Last Wednesday, was my son's 21st birthday. I am surprised he is spending it with family and not doing some wild party somewhere with his friends. I got him his first legal drink at legal age. Surprisingly, he ordered a mixed drink and not some hard alcohol. Each of us had 2 drinks and we all "Ubered" home. I am thankful for Uber for keeping us safe.

Looking back, this year's December birthdays are the first in a long time we were all together. Nobody was on the run. They are too old for that anyway. My daughter and son were both home and not thinking about spending all day, all night with their friends instead. I am thankful for the togetherness. I am thankful that their wild, young days may be over, or did not happen this year, yet(?).

Ten Things of Thankful

Comments

  1. Wishing many happy returns of the day to your children. Your thankful things are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice you were able to spend some good time with your children and grandchildren. It sounds like all had a good time celebrating the birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm happy for you! How wonderful to spend birthdays with your children!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I would love to read your comment.